Friday, February 24, 2012

Dabbling in the arts

This post is part of the Pagan Blog Project, Week 8: D

I'm a Dabbler. I'm still fairly new to witchcraft and paganism; this world was only opened up to me a few years ago. And so I dabble, looking for what rings true to me.

I primarily work with the Celtic pantheon, but Ganesh and Shiva have places on my altar. There's a prayer to Kali on my wall. Raven as the Trickster speaks to me often. Odin speaks strongly to my husband. And Grandfather Thunder, well, he has a place in my heart as well.

I work with candles, oils, rocks, poetry. I have several Tarot decks but have yet to find the right one. I like using astrology as insight to people's personalities, but don't use it as a divination tool.

It's a little of everything, and I have yet to find out where precisely I fit in.

For a while I thought "oh! Kitchen Witchery! I love to cook!" But I don't cook potions, I cook dinner. My husband works with the weather on occasion (well, rarely, as the weather patterns tend to snap back; equal and opposite reactions and all that) but while I love weather - I can't affect it. I've performed a ritual or two, but I can't help but feel silly while doing so.

How does one find the right path? Is there a right path? I'm still searching, and enjoying myself along the journey, which I think is an important part of it. I will continue reading, and learning of others' paths, and incorporating what I like into my own. That's one of the most amazing parts of the internet; the ability to learn about other paths, other religions, other lifestyles, other cultures. To dabble.

How did you find your path?

9 comments:

  1. I also found my path through dabbling. :) I tried a few things, found a lot that didn't work or only barely worked. Finally, I stumbled on something that did make sense to me. It's not perfect, and I'm still changing and adapting. But it's getting there, and it wouldn't have been possible without being willing to try new things and experiment with different mixes.

    I enjoyed reading your post, and I wish you the best in your future dabbling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found my path by trying out different things, tools and paths, working with them and seeing what sticks. F'ex the Tarot doesn't work for me at all; I just feel silly sitting there with the cards and having to look up every meaning. But candle magick does work very well.
    Also I feel that a lot of things and practices will come to you when you're ready for them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're definitely right about things coming when you're ready. I bought a few oils several months ago...but only started working with them in the past couple of weeks. They just sat, unused really, because I wasn't sure what to do. Now I do, and am looking for more fragrances! And it wasn't that I read something about using them, I just...realized what I could use them for.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In terms of learning, I don't know if I will ever find a solid path, there are so many paths which interest me. I've found certain areas of the craft I'm drawn to more than others-- I work with herbs & stones, tarot is my preferred form of divination, etc. But I also practice mala meditation, honor Celtic deities and use shamanic journeying. Evidently, this is where the term "eclectic withcraft" comes in handy! I actually think I've become more diverse in my practice the more I have learned. Perhaps you will be the same, and I think that's okay.

    (sorry to delete my earlier comment-- too many typos for me to leave it be, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of the term "eclectic witchcraft" as well! Why limit myself, when there's so many things to try, right?

      Delete
  5. I am dabbling as well, trying to find what fits and what doesn't. I love the discovery, the research I am doing, and I love reading others posts and learning from them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading others' posts has been a big part of my dabbling. "Oh hey, that sounds interesting, I'll have to try it..." :) Thanks!

      Delete