Monday, February 20, 2012

44 Days of Witchery, Day 6: A favorite god

Hmmm. This one's a little harder than choosing a goddess. I don't identify as closely with the masculine half. I'm going to go with Ganesh (Ganesha, Ganapati), actually. The Hindu elephant god of wisdom. He's also known as the Remover of Obstacles. 

Wisdom itself is something I strive for. Most hermetics have a word that embodies what they strive for, what they want to BE. (I'm what you might call a hermetic pagan, there's more on that farther back in the "hermeticism" tag) My word is wisdom. Not knowledge; wisdom. Knowledge is the more practical "how" whereas I want to know the "why." 

I want to know the history of things; how this came to be needed. Why we need something to be the way it is. If you look at WHY something was needed in the past, you can look at things now and know what is needed NOW. Those are generalizations, of course, but that's why I yearn for Wisdom rather than knowledge. 

But back to Ganesh. Some stories have him married to the goddesses of Prosperity, Intellect, and Spiritual Power. Others have him married to the goddess of Luck and Prosperity, or the goddess of Culture and the Arts. 

My little statue of Ganesh sits on my altar as a way to focus myself towards learning. To help open my mind to wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment