Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday Madness

Normally I write these entries the day before, and schedule them to be posted. But it's 10 till 2 in the morning, and I've been searching for inspiration for this entry.

In the meantime, Sascha and I have been marathoning Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Yes, you heard me right. Sabrina. It's a show I never got to watch growing up because *gasp* witches! He mentioned the other day that he used to like that show, and when I said I never got to watch, his immediate reaction was to decide we were going to watch all of it.

We're about 10 or so episodes in to the first season, and I have to say, I'm impressed. Given that this aired in the mid-90s, I'm surprised it was as well accepted as it was. I was especially amused by the Halloween episode; Aunt Zelda informed Sabrina that she shouldn't buy into the commercialization of the holiday, and to remember the true meaning of Hallow's Eve - family. Given that that's what is usually said about the high Christian Holiday, I just thought it really neat.

It's just not often that you see witchcraft portrayed in such a positive, family-friendly light. I mean, what other movies/TV shows have featured witchcraft/wicca/paganism?

Charmed - not quite family friendly.
Bewitched - actually another good example of witchcraft being portrayed favorably.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks was good.
But The Coven, The Craft, The Blair Witch Project, The Witches of Eastwick, so many bad examples.

And of course, now, the Harry Potter series. I was just surprised to see a series about a family of witches aimed at a younger audience, fifteen years ago! It might just be my sheltered upbringing, I suppose.

Does anyone else know of positive portrayals of witchcraft in the media?

No comments:

Post a Comment